b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/> Stephanie B. Designs: Yummy Recipe of the Month (and kids dig it)!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Yummy Recipe of the Month (and kids dig it)!



I've decided to post a favorite recipe of mine every month, cause we have to eat while we're stampin' and scrappin', right? This one happens to me one of my favorite comfort food recipes, and my kids think I'm the coolest mom in the world when I make it for them.

So what do you get when you mix Captain Crunch Cereal with chicken strips? An absolutely fabulous, yummy appetizer or dinner! Friends go nuts over this recipe every time I make it, and it's super easy. I discovered it at a Planet Hollywood restaurant, and it was so good that I had to find the copycat recipe on the internet. It sounds like a weird combination, but it's seriously yummy! I like to fry mine in the deep fryer because I live on the edge like that, but for a healthier version you can "oven-fry" it instead. Both versions rock!

PLANET HOLLYWOOD'S CAPTAIN CRUNCH CHICKEN

2-1/2 cups Captain Crunch Cereal - do not use the one with pink berries - unless you want pink chicken. Eww.
1 cup corn flakes
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 pounds chicken breast, cut in 1-oz. tenders
Vegetable oil for frying (I actually use a deep fryer, but a pan works too)
 OR:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake until done

HONEY-MUSTARD SAUCE (you can use this recipe, or just cheat and by prepared honey mustard - I like this version better).

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard

1. Coarsely grind or crush the two cereals and set aside. Beat the egg with milk and set aside.
2. Stir together the flour, onion and garlic powders and black pepper; set aside
3. Dip the chicken: pieces in the seasoned flour and coat well; shake off the excess flour. Dip in the egg wash, coating well, then dip in the cereal mixture, coating well.
4. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet to 325. (or skip this step and bake on a foil-lined sheet at 350 degrees until done)

Drop coated chicken tenders carefully in the hot oil and cook until
golden brown and fully cooked, 3 to 5 minutes depending on size.
Drain and serve immediately with sauce.

5. For sauce, combine all ingredients and mix well.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

8 comments:

jo said...

OK - I have to ask - what is Cap n Crunch? Wondering if we have anything like it in the UK.

Toni said...

I LOVE you!!! anything new for chicken ... all three of my guys love Captain Crunch, so this should be good! Jo, Captain Crunch is a cereal brand.

Carla said...

This looks good, Stephanie! I printed it out. I'll bet my kids will like this, too!

Jamie Martin said...

Sounds like a great recipe, I'll have to give it a try :)

Veronica said...

Oh my gosh my favorite chicken strip ever. I love these and thank you for the recipe.

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

OMG! What perfect timing! I was just wracking my brains trying to think of just this recipe this morning and here it is! Mwah! Thank you!!

Carolina said...

I so have to try this...I'm sure my nephew will love it and will make a nice addition to our lunch menu - TFS!

Andria said...

Dude! Captian Crunch is my all time fave cereal so I will be trying this. Thanks for the recipe!